Giant Eagle Named One of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality
We are thrilled to share that Giant Eagle has earned the designation of being a “Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality” in the Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index (CEI) for 2021. As one of only 75 businesses in our operating areas to earn this distinction (33 businesses in Pennsylvania, 22 in Ohio, 5 in Indiana, 12 in Maryland and 3 in West Virginia), it is an affirmation of the concrete steps we have taken to ensure greater equality for LGBTQ workers and their families in the form of comprehensive policies, benefits, and practices.
At Giant Eagle and GetGo, we engage our Team Members and communities with our Inclusion, Equity and Diversity mission and strategy through the work of seven Business Resource Groups. GE Proud, our LGBTQ+ Business Resource Group continues to make progress and enact change to support our LGBTQ+ Team Members and community.
Recent Highlights from GE Proud:
- Specifying pronouns in email signature for all Team Members
- Joined LGBTQ+ Chamber of Commerce in Indianapolis, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Columbus to partner with other LGBTQ+ organizations across our markets
- Advocated for and implemented domestic partnership healthcare
- Created and implemented gender transition guidelines
- Supported PA Youth Congress with their PA Values Campaign – working toward legislation to make sexual orientation and gender identity a protected class in PA
- Yearly PRIDE celebration planning – Giant Eagle participates in Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Columbus, and Indianapolis Pride parades
At Giant Eagle, support for the LGBTQ community is core to who we are as a company. We are proud to receive this important recognition and we realize it is an inflection point on our journey to create an inclusive, equitable, and diverse culture, but there is more work to do. We are committed to work to make every Team Member feel welcome and that they belong to our family.
In conjunction with this announcement, we are excited to share that Giant Eagle will further support the LGBTQ community with financial donations to the following non-profit organizations in our markets:
- Pittsburgh: Hugh Lane
- Cleveland: School of One at the LGBT Community Center of Greater Cleveland
- Columbus: Kaleidoscope Youth Center
- Indiana: Indiana Youth Group