Retail Operations Intern, IDP
Giant Eagle Inc., ranked 35th on Forbes Magazine’s largest private corporations list, is one of the nation’s largest food retailers and distributors with approximately \\$9.6 billion in annual sales. Founded in 1931, Giant Eagle, Inc. has grown to be the number one supermarket retailer in the region with 417 retail locations throughout western Pennsylvania, north central Ohio, northern West Virginia and Maryland.
Team Members who work for our flagship banner, Giant Eagle, are continually redefining and improving the supermarket shopping experience. We’re creating a destination where customers find high-quality foods and convenience-oriented services, along with some pleasant and unexpected surprises as we try new things and roll out new ideas. You will be part of a growing team that emphasizes building lifelong relationships with our customers by focusing on understanding and exceeding their needs.
Retail Operations Management Interns will spend 10 weeks engaging in the daily tasks and responsibilities of Store Leaders throughout an assigned Giant Eagle store. Interns will learn the day-to-day operations of each store department, will gain insight on overall store operations, and complete an in-store project assigned by the intern’s manager/store leader. Each regional group of Interns (Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Akron/Canton and Columbus) will also complete a team project as assigned by the IDP Program Coordinators. Interns will also have the opportunity to engage with company leadership and tour various Giant Eagle, Inc. warehouse facilities throughout the duration of this program. Interns are to be aware that night and weekend scheduled workdays are essential to the retail operations experience and an accurate industry representation.
Education and Training Required
- Develop and execute a store project as assigned by mentor to address a specific area of concern or opportunity for improvement.
- Gain exposure to the development and administration of a fiscal plan in order to lower controllable expenses, achieve gross profit goals, and maximize profitability.
- Assist store manager with the analysis of Customer Satisfaction Index; identifying areas needing improvement and communicating recommendations to team members.
- Participate in the physical inspection of store facilities and equipment to ensure the safety of customers and team members as well as compliance with local, state and OSHA regulations.
- Partner with the store management team to understand the importance of a good working relationship with union members and representatives (if applicable) and how that is achieved through addressing their concerns and articulating the Company’s interpretation of the labor agreement and policies.
- Develop an understanding of all federal, state, and local laws and government programs (EEO, ADA, WIC program, federal tobacco and state liquor regulations).
- Learn how to read a Profit & Loss report and how each line of business effects the profit of the store and make necessary recommendations for improvement
- Learn, understand and participate in activities that maintain or improve department profitability (i.e. physical inventory, price change procedures, rotation of products, etc.).
- Review essential training checklists within departments and conduct basic job tasks as they apply to each department
- Schedule and complete regional Giant Eagle store and competition checks with Store Leader and Regional Business Leaders
- Attend events in the surrounding areas that ensure Giant Eagle’s commitment to the betterment of the community.
- Participate in weekly conference discussions with IDP Coordinators and regional leadership to coordinate weekly ad changes, store operations, merchandising and customer service results.
- Bachelors Degree Undergraduate Junior or Senior at an accredited four-year University in
Business Administration, Operations Management, Retail Management, Organizational Leadership, Management, Marketing, Finance, Accounting
1st Shift – 6a – 3p
- Customer Focused
- Gets Things Done
- Interpersonal Skills
- Problem Solving
- Respect for Self and Others
- Normal office environment
- Normal store environment with no continuous exposure to extreme temps, dust, etc
- Carrying Up to 25 pounds
- Lifting Up to 25 pounds
- Cardboard Baler
- Cash Register
- Electric wheelchairs
- Label Gun
- Media Reader
- Ordering Machine
- Plastic Baler
- Portal POS
- Power jacks
- Receiving Gun
- Scale Labeler
- Trash compactor
873 Refugee Road, Pickerington, OH 43147